Powered by Invision Power Board

Pages: (2) [1] 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Closed TopicStart new topicStart Poll

> DEBATE: Iraq Disengagement Act of 2004, HR 1.97
hellhathnofury
Posted: Dec 6 2004, 11:44 PM
Quote Post

VIETNOW!

Group: Members
Member No.: 101

Debate shall last 5 days.

Mr. Dallas submits

A BILL
repealing the legal basis for US military involvement in the Republic of Iraq, effective December 31, 2005.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled --

SECTION 1. Repeal of Public Law 107-243

Public Law 107-243, "To authorize the use of United States Armed Forces against Iraq," is hereby repealed.

SECTION 2. Prohibition on Expenditures

On or after December 31, 2005, no funds herein or heretofore appropriated may be obligated or expended to finance directly or indirectly combat activities by United States military forces in or over or from off the shores of the Republic of Iraq.

SECTION 3. Iraq Liberation Act of 1998

(1) Public Law 105-338, the "Iraq Liberation Act of 1998", shall not be construed to obligate or expend any funds directly or indirectly for combat activities by United States military forces in or over or from off the shores of the Republic of Iraq.

(2) Sections 4 and 5 of the Iraq Liberation Act of 1998 are hereby repealed.

SECTION 5. Clarification

Public Law 107-40, "To authorize the use of United States Armed Forces against those responsible for the recent attacks launched against the United States," shall not be construed to authorize combat activities by United States military forces in or over or from off the shores of the Republic of Iraq.

SECTION 4. Effective Date

This Act shall take effect on December 31, 2005.

This post has been edited by hellhathnofury on Dec 6 2004, 11:44 PM
PMEmail PosterAOL
Mick Peruzza
Posted: Dec 9 2004, 05:35 PM
Quote Post

Safe Incumbent

Member No.: 323

Mr Chair

This Bill is the best example of fighting terrorism Ive ever read yet

I yield
PM
Lord Vader
Posted: Dec 9 2004, 05:59 PM
Quote Post

Pax propter vim

Member No.: 217

No

PMEmail PosterAOL
Bishopoffun
Posted: Dec 9 2004, 07:47 PM
Quote Post

James Conway

Member No.: 113

Mr. Chair,

I rise to support this bill since it gives us a realistic timetable to concieveably withdraw the troops from Iraq and bring them home safely and also gives ample time for a repalcement UN peacekeeping coaltiion to go in there and maintain order. I approve and I urge my fellow committee memebrs taht they approve as well so not another drop of blood is wasted over this mistake.

I yield.
PMEmail PosterAOLMSN
Pro-Union Republican
Posted: Dec 9 2004, 09:05 PM
Quote Post

Socially Conservative Third Wayer

Member No.: 196

Mr. Chair,

The fact of the matter is: the United Nations will not send a peacekeeping mission to Iraq. If we truly leave the country without handing it over to a responsible party, then we will only prove to the world that we are nothing but a paper Tiger. Pulling out of Iraq will most certainly create more terrorists and only empower them. We saw that in Somalia. We must stay and finish the course until a legitimate government is elected.

Ladies and gentlemen of the committee, I am appalled at the contents of this bill. I hope that this committee votes against it. I have not such a disgraceful example of quasi-isolationism since the days of the 1930's by the paleoconservatives in the Republican party. We don't live in a world where we can just pull out of Iraq and everything will be peaceful and wonderful.

I motion to permanently table this bill. I am seriously at a loss for words to even describe this bill other than disgraceful and cowardly at the least.

I yield.
PMEmail PosterAOL
Mick Peruzza
Posted: Dec 9 2004, 09:15 PM
Quote Post

Safe Incumbent

Mr Chair

This Bill is an attempt to prevent the situation in Iraq from disintergrating even more. The Iraqis have a right to rebuild their own country without our presence being there to draw so much destablizing enemy fire. Not one more American soldier should lose their life in this quagmire-No war is winnable where the native peoples dont welcome our presence--I object to this motion to table

I Yeiled

This post has been edited by Mick Peruzza on Dec 9 2004, 09:17 PM
PM
Lord Vader
Posted: Dec 9 2004, 09:18 PM
Quote Post

Pax propter vim

Mr. Chair,

I second the motion to table, by the gentleman from Michigan.

I yield.
PMEmail PosterAOL
Mick Peruzza
Posted: Dec 9 2004, 09:19 PM
Quote Post

Safe Incumbent

Mr Chair

I 2nd my motion to object

I Yield
PM
Lord Vader
Posted: Dec 9 2004, 09:25 PM
Quote Post

Pax propter vim

Mr. Chair,

The gentleman can not second his own motion. Further, there is no motion to object to a seconded motion to table. A seconded motion to table must be debated and voted on. If he wishes to object, he should do that with his vote on the motion to table.

I yield.
PMEmail PosterAOL
David Harper
Posted: Dec 9 2004, 09:52 PM
Quote Post

The (M)illennium (E)dtion Man

Member No.: 167

Mr. Chair,
I am amazed that such a bill has even made it to this committee. What if Iraqi forces are no ready for total withdrawal of US troops? What then? Do we still pull out and hope that the insurgents won't give the Iraqi security forces a tough time once we leave? This bill just give the insurgents a timetable. All they have to do is reduce attacks and make things appear calm. Then once we leave, they will mercilessly attack Iraqis until Iraq is once again plunged into chaos. As for the UN, it is just not capable of yielding a force capable of securing Iraq. This bill does not help the situation in Iraq any, and that is why I ask my fellow committee members to vote NAY on this bill. Thank you.

I yield.
PMEmail PosterAOL
club gop
Posted: Dec 9 2004, 11:37 PM
Quote Post

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Member No.: 126

Mr. Chair,

I second the motion to table.

This post has been edited by club gop on Dec 9 2004, 11:37 PM
PMEmail Poster
TrevorWebb
Posted: Dec 10 2004, 12:29 AM
Quote Post

Blew up da owl

Member No.: 359

Mr. Chair,

I also second the motion to table
PMEmail Poster
Mick Peruzza
Posted: Dec 10 2004, 01:20 AM
Quote Post

Safe Incumbent

Mr Chair

I Object

I Yield
PM
hellhathnofury
Posted: Dec 10 2004, 06:40 AM
Quote Post

VIETNOW!

After a skim at RoR (I could not find the appropriate AGS rule), I found the following:

In ordinary deliberative assemblies, a question is supposed to be laid on the table only temporarily with the expectation of its consideration being resumed after the disposal of the interrupting question, or at a more convenient season.1 As soon as the question that was introduced when the first question was laid on the table, is disposed of, any one may move to take this first question from the table. When he rises to make the motion, if the chair recognizes some one else as having first risen, he should at once say that he rises to move to take a question from the table.

I judge that the pending nomination counts as such as the country is on the brink of war.

I will table this bill pending the outcome of the nomination.
PMEmail PosterAOL
hellhathnofury
Posted: Dec 15 2004, 11:51 PM
Quote Post

VIETNOW!

Debate resumes for 3 more days.
PMEmail PosterAOL
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (2) [1] 2  Closed TopicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0538 ]   [ 16 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]

Provided by Forum For Free - setup your very own free message board now!