Powered by Invision Power Board

Pages: (2) 1 [2]   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Debate: Majority Leader Candidates
Ogden_Chichester
Posted: January 03, 2007 01:29 pm
Quote Post

Love-struck teenage contestant for American Idol

Group: Members
Member No.: 388

Mr Chairman,

I rise to say I didn't even know I had been nominated, being so busy as I have. I just wish to say how honoured I am to even be nominated. I pray for both candidates, both of whom are good friends, and I wish them the very best of luck.

I yield the floor.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteICQAOLYahoo
csuperman7
Posted: January 03, 2007 02:28 pm
Quote Post

Heterosexually challenged

Group: Admin
Member No.: 528

Mr. Chair,

I'd like to thank Mr. Williams and yourself for those kind words. I want to say again how honored I feel to even be taking part of this debate. I have been thinking about it and after reading what the Chair stated, I'm afraid that I must withdraw my name.

Joe Swartz is a great guy and will make a great Majority Leader. I'm currently IRL in the process of moving and until I get settled in, I may not have all the time necessary to dedicate as ML. I thought it might have been possible, but with Clerking, and being SPT, I'm afraid I won't be able to give all the time necessary.

So, let me be the first to congratulate Mr. Swartz. I offer my services in anything you may need in your (hopefully) long time as ML.

Thanks to everyone who supported me and when I'm more able IRL, I'll run again.

Thank you and I yield.
PMEmail PosterMSN
Swartz
Posted: January 03, 2007 04:34 pm
Quote Post

Tear-Jerker Supreme... with a Side of compassion

Member No.: 1276

Mr. Chair,

I rise today, to thank the member who nominated me, and the members who seconded me. I truly owe this honor to them. I also would like to thank my opponent, first, for his kind words, and secondly for his realizing that he may not have all the time necessary to fulfill the position. I congratulate him, and thank him for the great service he gives to this coalition. Your efforts will always be cherished and appreciated.

I would also like to address some of your concerns Mr. Chair. As Majority Leader, I will always be available to sponsor, co-ordinate, write, introduce, and co-sponsor majority agenda items. That is one of the duties of being Majority Leader, and I will not let that duty go to the wayside. As for the effective communication, I will make sure that all parties involved in a situation are privately contacted, or if it is Majority-Wide, I will make sure to post it in the War-Room. I encourage all members that have access to the war room, to enter it, and stay up-to-date with the news, and announcements posted in it.

I also am working on putting the final touches on committee rosters, and I am creating a War Room list. I will make sure to have that done, by the start of the next session, which is approaching very quickly. I will also be contacting several members very shortly, to get their input on the Agenda, it is not a job that anyone can do alone, and I do not intend to. The agenda represents all of our views, and it will be a collaboration of many minds, that come from different sides of the political spectrum.

I am proud to stand in front of you today, as the only remaining candidate for Majority Leader. Once again, I would like to thank Senator Evans for nominating me, and the many members of the Majority who seconded me. I will make you guys proud, and we will once again prove to America why we are the Majority.

Thank You, and I Yield
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOL
Casey Evans
Posted: January 03, 2007 05:39 pm
Quote Post

a senator whether you like it or not

Member No.: 1279

I have another question, and this is for both candidates:

I, as the Senator of New Jersey, have submitted legislation and have asked you to bring it up to the Speaker to get it to the floor.

You are personally opposed to this legislation, but it is supported by a majority (for the sake of example, let's say about 55-60%) of the coalition.

What would you do?

This answer will decide my vote for Majority Leader, and I have not yet made up my mind as to who I'll give my support.

Good luck to you both.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOLMSN
richardwilliams
Posted: January 04, 2007 11:52 am
Quote Post

S E N I D E N T

Member No.: 425

Congratulations to the new Majority Leader, Joe Swartz! And congratulations for a true gentleman and leader, Chris Piazza!
PMEmail PosterIntegrity Messenger IMAOLMSN
Kevin McGarry
Posted: January 04, 2007 12:32 pm
Quote Post

Hatta al-nasr, hatta al-nasr, hatta al-Quds

Member No.: 678

The Chair notes that there is only one nominee remaining who has been nominated, seconded, and accepted (Swartz). The only other nominee has, in the course of this debate, declined to stand for the position of Leader (Piazza).

The bylaws specifically require a candidate for Coalition Leader to have been nominated for the position. Write-ins do not appear to be allowed.

Having only one nominee would make an election unnecessary. And is a de facto expression of unanimous consent. Nothing in the rules allow, nor prohibit elections by unanimous consent.

Therefore, the Chair rules that, as the only remaining nominee, The Hon. Joe Swartz will serve as Leader of the Majority Coalition until a vacancy in the office or until the end of the term.

Congratulations to Congressman Swartz.
PM
Presbyman
Posted: January 04, 2007 12:39 pm
Quote Post

You Can Call Me Sparks

Member No.: 66

May the Swartz be with you! (anyone get the reference?)
PMEmail PosterAOLYahoo
richardwilliams
Posted: January 04, 2007 12:49 pm
Quote Post

S E N I D E N T

Member No.: 425

:lol:
PMEmail PosterIntegrity Messenger IMAOLMSN
Casey Evans
Posted: January 04, 2007 02:47 pm
Quote Post

a senator whether you like it or not

Member No.: 1279

QUOTE (Presbyman @ Jan 4 2007, 12:39 PM)
May the Swartz be with you! (anyone get the reference?)

It's Spaceball One -- They've gone to PLAID!"
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOLMSN
Swartz
Posted: January 04, 2007 03:26 pm
Quote Post

Tear-Jerker Supreme... with a Side of compassion

Member No.: 1276

QUOTE (Presbyman @ Jan 4 2007, 12:39 PM)
May the Swartz be with you!

AND ALSO WITH YOU! (How many christians know that line from Mass?)
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOL
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | House Majority Office | Next Newest »

Topic Options Pages: (2) 1 [2]  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.1946 ]   [ 15 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]